Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: New lick to learn...

  1. #11
    Inactive Member LDGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2004
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, but it might inspire you. It's all good influence, it's just how you use it.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member nevesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2004
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by LDGuy:
    Yeah, but it might inspire you. It's all good influence, it's just how you use it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well said dude.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Flarobstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2004
    Posts
    285
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    first of all, i'm just playin'. Second of all, I believe learning a lick or two is healthy. However, most of us need licks and we believe that improvisation is re-organizing your licks. That's why I personally don't think any of todays modern fusion players are real improvisors.
    They have spent years learning licks inside out placing them in different time signatures and trying to place them musically. There's nothing wrong with that. Thats the way most musicians approach it.
    Well, I'm not a real improvisor. I think Paul Motian, Jack Dejohnette, Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarret, Bill Stewart, Peter Erskine, and a few others are.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member tnsolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 7th, 2005
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i've always been torn about licks. i remeber when ken vogel did an article in md on tim alexander's (of primus) "my name is mud" ostinato. i did the pattern/lick and though "great, now what"? just because a cat does or does know a lick shouldn't matter. so guy x or y is better (or more inspired) than me because he knows a lick?

    all you need is $$$ to learn a lick- the concepts behind putting them on the kit are the same.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Personally, I'm all for learning licks and lots of them - as well as grooves, styles, feels, etc. By themselves, licks are not good or bad. When used poorly or forced on the music, still a subjective judgement call, they may sound horribly inappropriate and represent a bad choice.

    Then again, Vinnie probably knows a thousand licks. All that stuff isn't just made up in the moment. Any particular combination of ideas might be combined that way in the moment, but if you watch his solos and write out his stuff, you'll see certain patterns again and again. He practiced licks, reading, rudiments, styles, transcribed other drummers, etc., for thousands of hours as a teenager and after. Now they all come out so fluidly through his interpretation of the music that they seem like manna from heaven. Lots of it is really just manna from Steve Gadd, Tony, Chaffee, others and of course, hundreds of patterns of his own invention.

    I transcribed Steve Gadd's Crazy Army solo (version 2005) from his recent clinic tour, and have memorized it. I'm teaching it to a lot of my students. Other than that, I'll probably never use it for anything, but I'm still glad I have it ingrained in my head.

    I've transcribed Nevesis's (Buddy Rich) licks submitted here too, and wrote them into some short solo's I'll be giving to my students next week. Thanks for sharing them! I'm sure my students will get alot out of them.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oops!

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LD Guy that's not quite it.

    I wrote out it and the variation on Vid 2 and his funk groove and Afro-Cuban pattern.

    http://homepage.mac.com/polyostinato/

    I'll leave it up for a day. Get it while you can!

  8. #18
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Flarobstix:
    I don't play licks.
    Licks are for people that don't truly improvise. HEE HAAAW!!

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ July 28, 2005 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Flarobstix ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't play lick i just practice them to have a background when i play
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Now link work [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 29, 2005 12:27 PM: Message edited by: donu ]</font>

  10. #20
    Inactive Member donu's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2004
    Posts
    1,000
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Now we have to find a name of this lick like blusdha have his name [img]biggrin.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 29, 2005 04:42 AM: Message edited by: donu ]</font>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •